Friday, April 24, 2009

This is not London or Geneva—this is Africa!

"This is not London or Geneva - this is Africa!" - that's a quote from a Newsweek article I read in September about JZ and his inevitable rise to the presidency. 

I'm no expert on politics, I'm not gonna pretend to be but I think it's the first election I've ever bothered caring about (no, i wasn't a saffer hooked on obamamamamania) and decided that I must start paying more attention to SA politics.
Well election results are slowly coming in, the ANC's sitting at exactly 67% at the moment... 
We all knew that the ruling party was gonna do it again, it's just a  question of 2/3rds or not.

Anyway, I read the Newsweek article again and I think it's worth a read. The gist of it is that despite the negative perception of jz (for many reasons), chances are that he will be able to do a good job (and he's preparing pretty well for his new role). 
Now whoever reads this must understand, I'm not sitting on the fence on this one, I registered to vote and if I was in SA, I would have, and chances are that it wasn't gonna be ANC. 

But I'm one of those people who are always optimistic for SA. (I've met some haters who are not willing to give SA a chance, looking for the first door out, but c'mon! its home! I also keep meeting saffers in aus who cringe at even the thought of SA, this makes me sad, but alas, I guess everyone has their reasons...)

Regardless of what any of us stand for politically, we must embrace the fact that SA's come a long long way in 15 years (besides Juius, he's just speshul), and i think - no, i BELIEF! that things will get better and that future is in the hands of the ANC (this isn't blind faith, if u read the article and listen carefully u'll probably see that there's method to the perceived madness of jz). I hope he proves all the haters wrong, and justifies the faith his supporters (about 7 in every 10 south africans) have in him.
 
erm, viva! :P

1 comment:

  1. awesome blog ice =) i concur with your views!

    ReplyDelete