Thursday, June 4, 2009

A BINGeing competition!

Before I start, I gotta say that I'm really surprised that a lot of brotha's blog topics so far have had a political flavour to them. I really never saw any of us contributors as people who cared about politics so much, flavour of the week maybe, or maybe we've become that mature (boring) all of a sudden =/

Anyway, back to topic. So I thought I'd use the word 'bingeing' before everyone got sick to their stomachs everytime they heard it (although I suspect the term would be - binging). I'm refering of course to bing, Microsoft's new search engine. A friend showed it to me the other day and as far as first impressions go, this one was pretty good. As pro google as I am (believe me, I am - I sound like a salesman sometimes and I'm currently eyeing an android phone), I'm also very pro-competition... So I'm all for it!

I'm not doing a review here, I lack the technical know how (oh ya, i'm lazy too) to do a search engine benchmark. But what I will say is that the interface is quite impressive in its simplicity. It seems that MS has taken a leaf outta google's book there, kudos. I don't quite get the background image but I strangely don't mind it.

Microsoft have been pretty busy it seems, project Natal (I'll pronounce it like Kwa-Zulu Natal) looks like taking on the wii in a big way, except I think (for now anyway) people will take some time to getting used to playing games without a controller. Windows 7 too apparently is pretty awesome from reviews I've heard, besides the cut down version that only lets you run 4 apps at once (fail!).

Anyway, it's about time MS stepped up to the plate. I guess they didn't have a choice with the competition slowly eating away at their share of the market.

As much as the internet's part of our daily lives, I think it'd be a bit more relevant to point out the parallels that I can see now with the above mentioned competition and telecomms in SA:

I hope this microsoft reaction is the sorta thing we can see in SA from Helkom now that Neotel's on the prowl... I know SEACOM is a big step in the impending revolution, it couldn't come sooner! By the by - for those that don't know, Neotel through Tata have a nice stake in SEACOM, so this could be the beginning of the end (touch wood) of the exploitation us Saffers have been subject to for years!

Exciting times with all this competition... B(r)ing it! -sorry, couldn't resist :)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think the term would be binging, no 'e'. Googling for bingeing brings up:

    - Binge Eating Disorder: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Help
    - Emotional Eating, Bingeing, Stress Eating, Overcoming Compulsive ...
    - Bingeing & Compulsive Overeating - symptoms and remedies

    I doubt MS would want to associate their brand with that!

    Though when I binged it, the second result was
    - binge (b nj) n. 1. A drunken spree or revel.

    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry they're on the Island. It's all a big coverup by Widmore.

    ReplyDelete