Monday, May 18, 2009

The Times They Are a-Changin'

This blog post has been insipired by my sudden realisation of how quick things are changing around me, and my reluctancy to let go of some things I naively thought would never change. Ok, who am I kidding, I always knew life would change, just not so quickly.

Bob Dylan sang it in 1964, but it's one of those timeless songs that'll make sense in any one of our lives at some point or the other even to this day... The times they are-a changin'

Hmmm, where to start? 

It's wierd, I'd think the change from varsity to working life would be an immediate shock, but it wasn't, I settled in Ok, it's just now that I start to realise how things have progressed over a year and a half. But work is work, I'm actually more startled at coming to grips with the fact that I'm growing older, and so is everything else I'm familiar with.
A catalyst for this would be that a number of my close friends getting engaged/married (or planning to -you know who you are!). I never thought about it that hard, but when you see people you relate to do it, kinda puts it in perspective... The times they are-a changin'

But its not just that my generation is moving on thats hard to deal with, so are the other generations. Talking to some friends over the past week, the common feeling was how we're trying to resist the fact that our folks are getting older. Again, it's common sense, the circle of life, it's inevitable, but it hits you hard on the head and knocks you out cold when you realise it, to quote directly from the song, "Come mothers and fathers throughout the land, and don't crticize what you can't understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command, your old road is rapidly ageing. Please get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand for the times they are-a changin'
Don't even get me started at the 'kids', we're all looking at the little pipsqeaks growing up with slightly jealous eyes, sigh...

There's hardly any point fighting it (although I've heard five unique requests for time machines to take us back to standard 6 and below over the past month from friends). I'm not fighting it, just maybe seeking some solace in that I'm not alone in this yearning for our lost youth.

That said, woot woot! we're growing older! Finally! 
Our future will be defined by our actions now. Somewhat daunting, but at the same time exhilarating, I've always seeked for approval from elders with regards to decisions I make, yet I've made plenty recently on my own, no worries... The added responsibility is sometimes scary but at most times (so far anyway) awesome.

And that really is the key. Now is our time, the changing of the guard if you will.
We really have to embrace the change because as hard as it is to move on, to quote from Bob Dylan one last time then, "you better start swimmin or you'll sink like a stone... for the times they are a-changin"

Indeed they are... I wonder what brotha thinks of it all

1 comment:

  1. Sho! This blog strikes a chord with me, i guess these are the best years of our lives and thats why we're very reluctant to move out of the comfort zones we've created for ourselves...

    ReplyDelete